Clothing is an enormous and interesting topic. In fact, there are various types of clothing materials to choose from, such as polyester, linen, and much more! However, it does not end there. Wearing a jumper and a coat looks and feels entirely different, regardless of whether both of them are produced from wool. There are several types of fabrics out there.
What are the Three Major Types of Fabric Classes?
What Are the Three Basic Types of Weave?
The three main types of weave from which other weaves originate are satin weave, twill weave, and plain weave. Take note that the level of yarn interlacement in these fabrics varies significantly. Aside from affecting its look and feel, it can influence the way it’s washed and worn.
As the name suggests, plain weave is straightforward and simple. How does the warp and weft alternate work? Typically, the weft will go through every warp thread and below the next. This is a durable, practical weave that can produce a fabric with a similar texture on both sides. It’s great for any casual and formal clothing as well as for everyday wear.
Although they are known as plain, plain weave fabrics are not actually dull. There are versatile and varied fabrics that are plainly woven, however, they can be created from different textile fibers and blend perfectly when producing the finished garment. Let’s take a look at these plain weave fabrics and the common clothes they create. You might discover that you have abundant plain weaves in your wardrobe, and you are simply not aware of it. Except, of course, if you have very distinct tastes.
- Flannel can be made into sweaters, jackets, PJs, shirts, cardigans, and blankets.
- Canvas can be used for heavy workwear.
- Organza is an excellent fabric for making formal wear such as gowns and dresses, however, they can also be used for any fashionwear.
- Lawn is perfect for creating blouses, light-weight shirts, as well as linings for skirts and dresses.
- Taffeta is best used for making jackets, prom dresses, evening dresses, as well as any other types of party wear.
- Poplin is commonly used for making dresses, sportswear, shirts, pajamas, and raincoats.
Although plain weaves are easy to handle, it does not necessarily mean that they will simply take care of themselves. When making a comparison between woven and knitted fabric, you will see that woven fabrics are more susceptible to wrinkling, particularly, if they are created from cotton. To help you in reducing those wrinkles, you can use a fabric conditioner.